During 2011, I was fortunate to have the opportunity to attend many wine tastings, masterclasses and events. In addition, my website was in its first year and I was getting stuck into many roving sommelier activities. January, the first month of each new year, is always time for a little reflection over the past year’s events. Here is a selection of my most favourite food and wine matching occasions during 2011.
- Comparing and contrasting the Sauvignon Blancs and Pinot Noirs from Domaine Henri Bourgeois in Sancerre and their Clos Henri vineyard in Marlborough, New Zealand during a sumptuous, 5-course tasting menu at Plateau Restaurant in Canary Wharf, London.
- Various meals and tastings at Bistro du Vin in London.
- Schloss Johannisberg, German Riesling tasting and dinner at Pearl Restaurant in London.
- Pegasus Bay winemaker dinner at The Modern Pantry in London.
- Tio Pepe “En Rama” new release by Gonzalez Byass with delicious tapas at Camino Restaurant, Canary Wharf in London.
- My birthday lunch at Zucca Restaurant on Bermondsey Street in London.
- Various meals at Nopi Restaurant and a fabulous food and wine matching lunch organised by Gemma Bell.
- Forrest wines masterclass with Dr John Forrest at L’Atelier des Chefs in Marylebone, London.
- 1st birthday party and many enjoyable occasions at 28-50 Wine Workshop in London.
- My parents’ anniversary lunch at Zucca Restaurant on Bermondsey Street in London.
- My New Zealand wine tasting and book launch with canapes at Riverstation Restaurant in Bristol.
- Various meals at Jose Pizarro’s tapas bar “Jose” on Bermondsey Street in London.
- My New Zealand wine tasting and book launch with canapes at One Lombard Street Restaurant in London.
- My ‘natural wines’ tasting with canapes at Riverstation Restaurant in Bristol.
- Natural wines tasting with sushi and sashimi at Tsuru Sushi at Mansion House in London.
- 15th Anniversary dinner at Oxo Tower Restaurant.
- My Sancerre v Marlborough wine tasting and book launch at Cirencester Wine Club.
- My New Zealand wines and book launch matched with artisanal cheeses at “The Cheese Table” at Andaz Hotel, Liverpool Street in London.
- Seresin wine masterclass and lunch with Clive Dougall at Bistro du Vin Soho in London.
- The Dirty Dozen Wine Tasting.
- The Harrow at Little Bedwyn “Pop Up Restaurant” at Fortnum and Mason’s in London.
- Various winemakers dinners hosted at The Providores Restaurant in Marylebone, London.
With regards to the latter, I attended quite a few of the wine dinners at The Providores during 2011. All of them were organised by the talented wine buyer/sommelier, Melanie Ellis. Here are my favourite and most memorable pairings of each dinner.
March 2011 – Escarpment wine dinner: Tagliatelle with cep cream, Pecorino and Perigord truffle with 2008 “Kiwa by Escarpment”, Pinot Noir, Martinborough.
May 2011 – Misha’s Vineyard wine dinner: Tandoori prawn with tomato sambal and galangal coconut sauce with 2009 “Dress Circle” Pinot Gris, Central Otago.
June 2011 – Dog Point Vineyard wine dinner: Kaipara Harbour oyster with yeast cream, dashi foam and buckwheat with “Two Shady Dogs” Sparkling wine, Non Vintage, Marlborough. Please note: this wine is not available in the UK.
August 2011 – Framingham wine dinner: Open raviolo of diver-caught scallops with yuzu butter sauce with 2009 Pinot Gris, Marlborough.
September 2011 – Astrolabe wine dinner: Pan-fried, line-caught sea bass with prawn and truffle oil raviolo, miso beurre blanc and green mango slaw with 2009 “Taihoa” Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough.
October 2011 – Seresin wine dinner: Den miso blackened monkfish with pickled lotus root and harissa with 2009 “Chiaroscuro”, Marlborough.
November 2011 – Forrest wine dinner: Smoked mozzarella, risotto and jamon parcel with 2006 “John Forrest Collection” Chardonnay, Marlborough. The main course at this dinner was also very memorable – roast NZ venison, butter roast parsnips, wild mushroom puree and blackberries with 2006 “John Forrest Collection” Syrah, Gimblett Gravels, Hawkes Bay.
Whilst we’re on the subject of The Providores, please SAVE THE DATE: Tuesday April 17th 2012. They will be hosting a fabulous and special ’one-off’ “Best of” wine dinner. For further details and to book, please click on their website.
More blog articles, videos and reviews to follow soon. In addition, if you would like to see my ‘predictions for 2012′, then click here. Please note: many of my food and wine experiences, blog articles, videos, photos and much more are featured in the eBook “An Epicurean Odyssey: A Road Trip Around New Zealand“. It is available from the Kindle Store.
The roving sommelier is the facilitator of liquid enjoyment and by sharing my knowledge, passion and experiences, I will be your friendly tour guide on this gastronomic jaunt.
A portion of my book sales will be donated towards the New Zealand Earthquake Appeal Fund.
I’m looking forward to hearing about your own food and wine stories and comments.
Follow my tweets and updates on Twitter @rovingsommelier
The epicurean odyssey continues…